We’re on board with the 10th anniversary season of My Kitchen Rules… really! Mick and Jodie-Anne were so inspired by their time on a Carnival cruise that they recreated BlueIguana Cantina’s famous spicy fish tacos.
The BlueIguana Cantina is perennially a favourite lunch destination onboard the Carnival Legend and Carnival Spirit, bringing the authentic taste of Mexico. Here, guests enjoy freshly-made tacos, stuffed burritos, homemade tortillas and salsa that make you say ‘ñam ñam’ - that’s Spanish for ‘yum yum’!
Set your own kitchen rules as you make spicy fish tacos inspired by BlueIguana at home.
PREP: 30 MINS
COOK: 5 MINS
8 medium tortillas (flour or corn), warmed
2 medium avocados, coarsely mashed
150g coral lettuce leaves
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
400g can black beans, drained
1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
1 bunch coriander leaves
Thinly sliced chilli, to garnish
Lime wedges and Coles Peri Peri mayonnaise, to serve
1 tbs olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
800g firm white fish fillets, sliced thickly
1. To prepare spicy fish, combine oil, cumin, chilli and lime zest in a large bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper. Add fish and mix to combine.
2. Spread tortillas with avocado and top with lettuce leaves, onion, beans, tomato and coriander.
3. Heat a barbecue hotplate or frying pan over high heat.
4. Add fish pieces in batches. Cooking for about 1 minute on each side or until seared and just cooked through.
5. Arrange fish on tortillas. Garnish with chilli. Serve with lime wedges and mayonnaise.
Serve with a quick tropical salsa – combine diced fresh mango and cucumber with sliced chilli and lime juice.
And for an extra fruity heat, add some thinly sliced chargrilled pineapple.
Top off your delicious treat with an inspired cocktail recipe!